DJ's October '20 Monthly Mixtape

    Growing up in New England, I always viewed the season of Fall as something to be truly revered. Tossing aside all the pumpkin lattes, fancy sweaters and clothing sales, I simply love getting out there to celebrate the bright colors of Autumn.
    When it's a freezing Winter day with little daylight, I think of Autumn. 
    When it's a rainy Spring day and the ground is covered with gray slush, I think of Autumn. 
    Even when it's a hazy Summer day and the air feels scorching hot, I think of brisk breezes of Autumn.
   
Early October colors at Blueberry Lake, Vermont

    As I write this, it's late October and much of the 'leaf-peaping' tourist traffic has passed in my home state of Vermont. While no longer peak foliage, I am still surrounded by brightly colored trees that bring light to the increasing number of overcast and rainy days.
 
    This weekend, I went for a hike on Mount Mansfield, the highest point in the state. The beginning of the trail was still showcasing a great array of foliage. The hike opened up to a ridge line, where that morning had gotten it's first snowfall of the year. 

Summit of Mount Mansfield, Vermont

    So as we take in the remaining foliage before the dawn of stick season and snow makes it's way down from the mountains, I thought to would share 10 songs that I resonate with the month of October. 

1. Out of the Running - Chatham County Line

    As may be expected, beards and flannel are heavily represented on this playlist. 

2. Johnny Appleseed - Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros

    While Joe Strummer is best remembered for the Clash, a band whose sound branched beyond the original confines of punk rock, some of his most creative work is found with the Mescaleros, who he worked with right up to his passing. While his work with the Mescaleros maintained his songwriting for social issues, it also showcased a softer and sometimes warmer side of the punk rock warlock.

3. Halloween Sunset - John Craigie

    With a bluesy guitar and opening lyrics about rotting pumpkins, as one of my favorite modern folk troubadours, John Craigie weaves a fitting song for a romantic Halloween evening.

4. London - Ben Harper 

    As a slide guitar enthusiast, I am awaiting the man who got me to sit down and focus slide techniques to release an album of pure slide instrumentals called 'Winter Is for Lovers'. While intended to bring warmth to Winter, I think the track also lends a hand to this season. 

5. Golden - My Morning Jacket

    While the days are getting cloudier and grayer, I can't help but feel the leaves provide golden light of their own. This favorite from MMJ that perfectly exemplifies that imagery.

6. Ugly As I Seem - The White Stripes 

    It's not just name dropping Halloween that brought this song to mind. When I was a pre-teen and first faced with feelings of insecurity, I looked to the comfort of a hoodie and music in my headphones while walking home from school. This was one of those songs that I would turn to with it's relatable lyrics for all those searching for a "A place in a home that is safe and warm".

7. Ghost - Neutral Milk Hotel

    Modern mythology, memes and hipster stardom aside, no doubt Neutral Milk Hotel painted imagery with their music. With songs holding both hints of warm youthful nostalgia and haunting subject matter, just like the month of October. As exemplified in 'Ghost', with is paranormal lyrics and wavy singing saw going head to head with fuzzy acoustic guitars and bursting triumphant horn riffs.

8. Townships - The Cave Singers

    The Cave Singers are a band I feel deserves more recognition in modern folk scene (however you describe it). For a band that deserves more credit, I thought to help bring to light a lesser known album cut. 

9. See How We Are - X

    A punk band embracing a heartland sound that could stand next to Springsteen and Mellencamp, I dig it.

10. Time Has Come Today - The Chambers Brothers

    Thought I'd throw a curveball at the end here. This summer I picked up gardening as a hobby. Often using the time to listen to songs and podcasts with messages centered around activism and justice. Most the of time in the garden was spent weeding. Weeding out the bad stuff to help something grow, both in the ground and in my head. 
    As I am collecting the last of the harvest, this song is a reminder not to let go of the motivation I picked up over the summer, continuing that momentum into the darker and drearier days that lie ahead.


Thanks for taking the time to read this, Click here to open in Spotify and below I've included past October playlists. If you wish, click subscribe above to be notified when I share songs for November and feel free to comment below with any songs that come to mind!

- Daniel Jacobson (DJ the DJ)
More from Mansfield


Comments

Popular Posts